Thursday, January 22, 2015

Let's Assess

I have really enjoyed using a couple of assessment tools, in particular. When looking for a tool for assessment, I want something that is intuitive in its use, easy to log in for students, and easy to disseminate data and with multiple ways to share data. I have found 2 great tools.

Kahoot is a fun tool that really gets students excited. It is great for formative assessments, and students love the speed element. I like the fact that I can determine how fast we move from question to question and the constant update to who is in the lead. Having that feedback drives the students. It really is a gamefication of the lesson. Students often ask if we are going to use it when preparing for a quiz.

Another tool that has some robust features is Socrative. I use this tool for more formal assessments. It can be used in several different manners, but I mainly use it at the end of a lesson. Students log in with first and last names and then they start into the test. I allow Socrative to show students their grade after they have finished. I can then drop scores write into Google Drive. I monitor the percentage correct for each question and focus on the questions that presented the most problems for students in upcoming lessons.

Both tools are great and I love to use them to drive my instruction. They are assessments made easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment